Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday The Thirteenth

I managed to not catch whatever was going around when all my friends felt like shit back at home. However now that I'm in Gyeongju, I think I am catching something; it started in my throat this morning and it is progressively getting worse. I have The Sickness. At least I think I do. I am trying to take as many vitamins as possible, as well as drink as much water as my body will allow. I plan on sleeping in tomorrow (T.G.I.MF.F!), so hopefully that will make me feel better.

Matt and I decided to reschedule hiking tomorrow due to The Sickness. Not to mention it was 53 and humid here today, and tomorrow it's supposed to be like, 35. The weather changes are affecting me and making me cranky. I went to bed too late last night and had to get up early for physical therapy, and when I awoke it was cloudy and gray outside, making me want to isolate myself and not do anything. But alas, I walked to the doctor, and surely enough I fell asleep with my moon pants on. I was rudely awakened by the physical therapist snapping the connecting thingies off of my legs. The good news is that although I am feeling below average, my leg is greatly improving. I could jump around with the kidlets today and not feel like I was going to collapse. I didn't even notice how much better it was because it's so natural for your legs to feel how they are supposed to. Friday is "Game Day" so I let my students play Hangman and Bingo. Beautiful. The games allowed me not to speak that much and just let them guess letters and match their bingo cards. I can't believe I'm done with my first week of teaching.

The walk home today was particularly nice even though it was rainy and humid. Looking ahead of me were the mountains, with pockets of clouds resting in between them. Again, I didn't have my camera and I was kicking myself for it-- it was so gorgeous. The view gave me this inherent urge to pack my backpack, fill it with water and granola, and head off. Unfortunately my adventurous desires are going to have to be put on hold until I am not running a fever.

* * *

Last night was mine and Simon's welcome dinner. I met some really, really cool people. After we ate some sort of spicy chicken (or pork, not sure) in lettuce wraps, we went to a bar where they were playing 50 cent and TuPac. Simon and I were the only ones who seemed to notice the Western music. A lot of people who I've met have been here for 2+ years, so I can only assume that any kind of music back from home is generally something they would not be familiar with.

Man. I just looked at my clock and I'm about to be late to dinner. I'm not even really hungry, but I know I should eat. I feel like I'm not making too much sense right now, I'm just typing and not editing nor really caring about what I'm saying. Whatevs though. The Sickness is getting to the brain.

More tomorrow. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! The Sickness has finally struck! I'm sorry to hear you're not up to par. Glad though that the moon pants are doing their job, and even if they weren't I would encourage you to keep going because the stories about you and those pants are just the best! :) Take care of yourself and get some rest. Maybe this calls for chicken....i mean duck soup?? Green tea would be good too...hang in there baby girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been missing your blogs lately so tonight I treated myself to several days worth. Sorry to hear you're sick but with all the changes you're experiencing, it's kind of predictable. Hope you're feeling better this morning because teaching 9 consecutive classes has got to be exhausting. Hang in there and keep those moon pant stories coming. Love, AJ

    ReplyDelete