Monday, March 9, 2009

From Detroit to Gyeongju.


Drank that French wine.



That's me that's my plane!



Reflecting.



HUGE 747.





Fried eggplant, Japanese sweet rice cake, salmon flake, salmon roe on steamed rice.

My home for three nights; Cate's apartment.

International literature.

Breakfast.

What I would compare to Bud Light.

Downtown Gyeongju.

Need I say more?

Cute, cute, cute scarves.

Okay two things before I continue. One, I didn't realize that the "tungsten" setting was on my camera until a few pictures later (hence the blue-ish tint). And two, I just now figured out that I can make the pictures bigger. So from now on they will be set to large instead of medium-- that was a slight U-Haul moment. Don't ask.



For Amit, with love.


Bing su. Green tea ice cream, cereal, mangos, ice shavings, kiwi.

Stephanie! :)

Everything is served in really, really large quantities.

"Mama Cass... ham sandwich."

A market in Gyeongju.


Don't know what she was cooking up-- smelled real bad though.


I will get a better picture of these cakes. This does not do them justice!

Sarah, one of my students. They love, love, LOVE giving the peace sign. :)

Some kind of custard filled, buttery flakey goodness. You know I ate that shit UP.

Traditional Korean dinner/Stephanie's last meal

Gyeongju library-- the oldest one in the city.

Near where I live.

And next, the videos. :)

7 comments:

  1. So...do you mean to say that I am a fashionista?! cause that is what i think you mean.

    love you so much. sounds like an incredible adventure so far! and its win-win, because i have something to do when i am bored at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing I love all the sea food, I can only imagine that smell!

    The food looks interesting! I wish you luck with trying new things!

    I can't wait to see you live in person soon enough I am sure!

    Love Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Laura. I'm enjoying your blog - getting a flavor of life 180 degrees away (give or take) from Iowa. The food looks adventurous. New tastes, right up my alley. You're a great writer. Looking forward to hearing more!

    Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. mama cass.....ham sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish I wish for stinky fish, served up an a big white dish.
    I wish I wish for sweet smooth tea with honey from a bumble bee.
    i wish for weeds to dip in sauce, I wish that I could meet your boss.
    i wish for time to be with you, hanging loose in wacky Gyeongju.
    The End
    xoxoxoxoxoxo
    :):) mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amit,
    Not just any fashionista, but a feminist one. :)

    Steph,
    Do you have Skype? If you do, my Skype name is sokorosie. I'd love to see your face.

    Diane,
    Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. The new tastes kind of freak me out, but I am trying to expand!

    Dan,
    I didn't know who the eff you were at first cause of your name. I didn't even know you had a blog. And thanks for the reference correction. :)

    PS
    You suck for not e-mailing me about Cass Cafe!

    Mom,
    LOLOLOLOL.

    I wish I wish for a tasty dish, but not one of a smelly dead fish.
    I wish I wish for you to see, all of the people stare at me.
    My height and my curly hair do scare, enough to stop, pause, and glare.
    The Korean kidlets are cute and crazy, and do not allow for me to be lazy.
    But being a teacher in Korea, I have come up with the BEST idea!
    I am teaching kids about the Western Wall, and on a tissue box, very small,
    they will write their dreams and aspirations, and will make their own wall, a strong foundation.

    Anyway I must go eat,
    I hope, I hope it is not duck meat
    And if it is, I don't want to know,
    so I can eat it anyway, and become a pro.

    <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. laura dear
    your talents they are never ending
    for all these years you've been pretending
    and hiding your knack for prose so charming
    your hidden skills are quite disarming
    who knows what all the rest will think
    when they read our poems..they rock, they stink?
    but i dont care they crack me up
    i spit my coffee back in my cup
    when i saw you answered with rhyme and wit
    i withheld the cursing (Holy sh*t!)
    on top of everything else she does
    Laura's a poet just because
    she's smart and funny
    and clever too
    a poet fantastic
    who knew who knew?
    you never cease to amaze and surprise
    i wont even try to poke out my eyes
    I love you and cannot wait for more
    now i"m running out the door
    enjoy your day and night time too
    hanging out in old Gyeongju.

    ReplyDelete