Sunday, June 28, 2009

How can you sleep at a time like this?

So, I've been looking at options for my next move after Korea. Here are the options I've come across and are considering:

1. Renewing my contract with English World. This means staying in Korea a second year. Although I love my kids and my coworkers and my boss, and am saving real money for the first time in ages, I don't think I can teach ABCs for a second year. I do not believe that this job is intellectually stimulating enough for me, and I believe that I am worth more, and that I'd like to put my training to better use.

2. Teaching English in Australia or New Zealand. Preferably Australia. A friend of mine here is doing this in December. The perks of teaching in either country are phenomenal. In Australia, a lot of jobs are for casual or relief teachers, and the contracts go by 3 month intervals. So hypothetically, I could teach English in an Australian high school for 3 months, and if I love it, continue to teach there for 6 months, 9 months, or 1 year.

3. Teach ESL in Prague. I don't know what is drawing me to the Czech Republic, but it's there and I don't know why and I can't really deny it. Maybe that it was founded in the 8th century. Or maybe that it has the Prague castle and that secretly I want to feel like I'm living in a modern day kingdom where I can meet a man (prince) who drives a black Mustang. We can drink champagne on his stone terrace and chat about political matters that I will pretend to understand. Always an option.

This week, these are my top choices. Although the order would be Australia, Prague, then Korea. I could also teach in South America. I've narrowed the countries to Peru, Chile, or Venezuela. Or I could teach the Aborigines in Australia. Or I could teach in Thailand, Greece, Botswana, or the Cayman Islands. The more countries I research, the more overwhelmed I become. The only thing I can say conclusively and without any hesitation, is that having a degree in education, or at least a teaching certificate, is something that can literally take you around the world. I don't believe I could have picked a better career to pursue. The international demand for English teachers is high and it is everywhere.

My dad's new favorite line is "Rosie, these are problems, but they're good problems". As in, you have all of these options, the world at your fingertips, so you should enjoy the "next move" process. At least that's my interpretation. So with that in mind, I will take the night off from thinking about my next move, and leave you with pictures from yesterday/last night in Busan-- my new favorite city in Korea.

Jewelry overload

Looks like Daegu


At a charity event/reggae concert. Di, Nina, and I.

Annyeoung!

6 comments:

  1. I just love the last 2 posts! embracing the culture and sights and life in soko and several days later planning your next move! You are my hero did I ever tell you that?!! Keep livin large:)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, any of those options would be incredible. I promise to work on your resume and the last writing prompt as soon as I have some time!

    Thinking about you and South Korea daily. You're beautiful and I love you and I can't wait to see that pretty face in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey laura i just had a chance to catch up on your blogs.
    fabulous and amazing, you are an excellent writer!!!!! you have really made your experience come alive for all of us to enjoy. THANK YOU.
    in reading this i have become intoxicated with memories of what it felt like, day-by-day, to live overseas. it's been awhile but reading your blog takes me back. LOVED IT - so thrilling and alive all at the same time.
    I will continue to follow!
    AMAZING stories - thanks again
    liz
    p.s. Harris still waxes poetic about you -- the other day Beulah came up and he said "don't talk about up North because it makes me sad, i miss laura!".

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom,

    i love you. i cant wait to see you. thanks for calming me down with my crazy korean medical problems.

    megan,

    YOU are beautiful. i can't believe you're coming! yeah get that prompt back to me, its a good one-- and my resume is laaaame. look forward to your critiques. :) i love you.

    aunt liz,

    i'm so glad you are enjoying the blogs! we should chat sometime soon, i can call you and we can catch up. send my love to harris and nina. i miss you and the babes SO much. :) talk to you sooooonnnn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just copy what everyone else said above me??

    I can't wait to hear about your next move, your absolutely beautiful, and I love your last two posts! Not to mention I am a huge fan of lists, if not a fanatic.

    I'm really glad your thinking forward. After all, if it wasn't for the idea of a bright tomorrow, could we get through the gloom of today?

    (My Internet at my house is down so I'm saying 'ello via iPhone. I'll send you your requests via Panera tomorrow).

    XO XO XX OO x o X o xO (big hug, big kiss, big hug, big kiss, big hug, big hug, big kiss, big kiss, little hug, little kiss, big hug, little kiss, little hug, big kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie.

    HAHA! I know you love lists! Glad to make you proud. :) Your e-mails were hilarious. I just realized that you said here you would send me your resume via Panera? God I miss Panera. What I wouldn't give for garden vegetable soup.

    Love you, (soon to be) Quebec Queen.

    ReplyDelete